For site information or updates please email firstname.lastname@example.org
School Lane and Ashby Road were owned by the Beaumonts and known as Newbold Gate or Newbold Hurst.
The Vicarage was built in 1855, and the present Cross Keys pub was built the following year, with the same type of brick. In what is now the pub car park there was a building, (no more than a small private dwelling) that was the original Cross Keys alehouse.
The houses in front of the playing field on Ashby Road & School Lane were given names rather than numbers. They were built in the 1930's by Frank Hodges, for the miners. The rents were collected directly through their wages.
At the lower end of School Lane were three cottages. In the 1950's, one was Stewart's shop, selling sweets -including gobstoppers, the size of the large Bassy Marbles, which were around at that time. 4 of them or 30 aniseed balls cost a penny.
At that time, the houses on the left of School Lane were NOT considered to be part of old Newbold. There were a few out-lying cottages in Melbourne Road, at the end of Ashby Road and at Newbold Gate.
The number of houses increased since 1933, with the building of the first council houses, known as Forest Terrace, and the houses opposite. With Cloud Hill View and Vicarage Close, the total is about 110 in this part of Newbold today.
Newbold had to rely on labour from outside, because there were few inhabitants in the village itself. In the 1920's, approaching from Worthington, there was one stone house on the right, which is still there. The Vicarage was on the left and there were three cottages at the top of Pipe Yard Lane. Built in 1765, they remained the last houses on that side of Worthington Lane for over 150 years. There was also a group of three terraced dwellings, now integrated into what we know as Anne's Cottage today. The present picture shows the new extension on the frontage and the white rendered walls. Alongside Anne's cottage, lower down the Lane was another house, which is also still there.
At the junction of Ashby Road and School Lane (near the present stone boulder) was a triangle of grass with a well supplying water to the dozen houses on the right hand side of Ashby Road. (The well was capped by Severn Trent in more recent years and now lies under the middle of the road.) There were no houses on the left of Ashby Road nor on the right on School Lane. The bus fare (1950's) from the well to Worthington was a penny. Further on from the Cross Keys, were half a dozen houses.
The Rev Henry Arthur Dane (Vicar of Worthington 1949-1971) standing in the garden of Newbold Vicarage c. 1953.
In a Worthington parish newsletter in the early 1900's Ralph Walker wrote: ''There was no central heating in Newbold School. In those days open fires welcomed us on winter mornings and in the big room, a huge cast iron fire grate kept us all warm throughout. Paraffin lamps swung from the ceiling and although these were not often used in school times, they were always glowing every other Sunday for the Church Service….Newbold school produced some excellent scholars. I can remember boys going on to be a clergyman, a bank manager, and several others going on to be teachers.'
Newbold School was originally called Worthington C of E School as it was and still is, in the parish of Worthington. It was built in 1872 with a residence for the Master, at a cost of about £1600, by a donation left by Mrs Grace Bulstrode. It had a capacity for 200 children. Most of them came from Newbold, Worthington and Griffydam. The school was enlarged in 1899 for up to 263 children. The average attendance was 180 pupils. In the early 1900's the school was run by Reuben Sisson and his assistants, one of whom was a daughter of the boot-maker - a Miss Daisy Statham.
In Newbold, in the early 1900's, James Statham was a boot maker, William Crabtree was the keeper of the Cross Keys public house, and the Rev. Henry Banker Greene, who might have travelled through his Parish in his pony and tub, lived at the Vicarage.
Other villagers were Joseph Knight and Josiah Walker, who were farmers. Josiah was followed by his son, Noady Walker. The Walkers lived at Ashby Road Farm. In Gelsmoor was James Leeson - cowkeeper and Eli White, publican at the Railway Tavern, today, called the Gelsmoor.